Prostate Health Awareness. Tips to reduce the risk of prostate cancer.
Recently, I found out that my family is prone to prostate cancer. It is never good news when you learn of such information. However, the good thing about having the knowledge now gives you and me the chance to do something about it. As the saying goes”Prevention is better than cure”.
Any man close to or over the age of 40 years has the potential to develop prostate cancer. The good news is that we can make lifestyle changes to help reduce this risk. Do not wait until it is too late. I have lost my grandpa’s and uncle to this cancer. Being in a third world country, they were not aware and not well informed of what killed them. There is no excuse for you and me.
Here a few tips to reduce the risk of prostate cancer that I have researched;
Most preventions always start with what we eat. Food and water is the source of life hence the need to make sure we eat relatively healthy. I intentionally used relatively healthy, because it is not my place to tell you what you can and can not eat.
Here are some foods/drinks you can reduce from your diet:
- Red and processed meat
- Milk and dairy products
- Alcohol; drink less, drink slowly
- Saturated Fats
Here are some foods/drinks you can increase in your diet:
- Tomatoes rich in lycopene
- Pumpkin seeds rich in zinc or zinc supplements
- Tea or coffee to replace alcohol
- Pieces of lemon in a glass of hot water (alkaline water)
- Pomegranate juice
- Vegetables rich in antioxidants
Probably every new year you make a resolution to exercise more and probably most times fall off the wagon. Well, it’s time to get back on that wagon and continue to give your best effort to exercise. Exercises help build muscles which are good for the body and in the process allows the body to remove unwanted toxins. However, it’s worth mentioning that men over 40 should avoid high impact exercises and cycling is definitely one to go easy on given the positioning.
- Avoid dressing up in tight underwear and recommend boxers. They impact circulation around the groin and increase temperatures in the area
- Avoid smoking. Smoking has effects on blood vessels which would also affect circulation.
- Regular sex is good for the prostate. I will prefix this by saying this is not permission to be promiscuous, however, sex is the exercise for the system.
There are several other lifestyle changes you can incorporate in your life to reduce the risk of prostate cancer. The ball is in your hands. We can no longer claim ignorance. Take charge and start early. Here are some prostate supplements you could add as well.